Let’s face it – when you think about the construction industry, environmental responsibility generally isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. In an attempt to appeal to the environmentally conscious, many companies will try to “greenwash” their image, creating more illusion than substance. At B. Rocke Landscaping, we prefer instead to acknowledge the challenges we face on a daily basis and explain the realistic and proactive steps we’ve taken to mitigate our environmental impact.
- Most of the materials and suppliers we use are locally sourced, reducing transport carbon emissions as well as supporting the local economy.
- We investigate and use eco-friendly products whenever possible.
- We promote the use of plants that are native to the Manitoba prairies.
- Any time we can, we will reuse materials salvaged from a project. Examples include using old wall blocks as (buried) retention barriers, using clean concrete products as aggregate base, and using clean fill from one project to build up the grade at another.
- We utilize local industrial recycling companies for any materials that can be recycled.
- Some of our managers use company-purchased mini-trucks to get around Winnipeg. These trucks are very fuel-efficient and our hope is to convert them to use propane fuel in the near future.
- We provide incentives to our employees to carpool and/or use public transit.
- Our company uses very little paper, favouring digital media instead.
- We use planning, mapping and GPS software to determine the most efficient routes for our Logistics team and reduce our overall fleet emissions.
Ultimately, sustainable development is about meeting today’s economic andenvironmental challenges without compromising the welfare of future generations. This philosophy is a cornerstone of what we do, and we will continue to explore new and exciting strategies as we grow.